Friday, January 27, 2012

Raw and Intimate look into Alaura's life

So today I got the news that my Grandma Betty passed away and I am absolutely heartbroken and devastated. I was hoping to post a happy blog but that's not happening tonight I guess. To truly understand my Grandma Betty and I's relationship you have to understand a little bit of my past.

I was born in San Bernardo, California in 1991 to a meth addicted mother and father. By the time I was 5 years old my moms addiction was spinning out of control and my mom decided it was time she got help. So she called the police asking for help. They took one look at our meager trailer home and she was arrested and I was hauled away to a foster home, luckily that only lasted for a few days. I don't remember much about the foster home but I do remember the day that my Grandma Pat came and picked me up and took me into her care and I couldn't be more relieved. I ended up living with my Grandma Pat for about a year. But every weekend I got to go stay at my Grandma Bettys house. At her house I remember staying up late watching cartoons and she always had her fridge stocked with my favorite foods, vanilla ice cream and Fruity Pebbles with toast for breakfast. She also had a peculiar way of making PB&J's she would butter the bread before she put the peanut butter on it and I remember them being delicious. Her house was perfectly cleaned but it was decorated like a crazy cat lady she had 4 cats and cat statues everywhere. Another thing I remember was that she would walk about 2 1/2 miles to get her groceries everyday she said she liked the exercise.

Then a year later I was adopted by my aunt and uncle on my moms side and was forbidden from contact with my biological dads side of the family. Then once I turned 18 I got in contact again with my Grandma Betty and I am so glad I did. I made sure to call her and check up on how she was and how my "dad" was. I am so grateful for those conversations I got to have with her but also sad for all that missed time.

Theres more to my life story but it can wait another day

No comments:

Post a Comment